Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Here, dear husband, is why I watch the Bachelor

I didn't make him watch it with me, but he dared to sit in the room while I read some hilarious recaps and message board posts, and when he asked what I was reading and why, we got into a discussion about why I watch it. His issue is, he knows that I absolutely hate to see people embarrass themselves (so I absolutely cannot watch any type of Punked/Candid Camera type shows), yet I watch The Bachelor to laugh at the girls who embarrass themselves. While the distinction is crystal clear to me, I had trouble explaining it to him. My thoughts on the subject are:

--There's a difference between involuntary involvement (a la "candid camera" moments) and jumping through hoops to put yourself on television. Mark pointed out, though, that the people who are unwittingly caught in the embarrassing moments have to sign releases after the fact so their stuff shows up on TV, so in a way they're actually voluntarily involved.

--The chicks/dudes on The Bachelor/ette KNOW that how they're portrayed will be out of their hands to an extent, but they sign their rights away and do it anyway. It's not the first season, here, folks. You know they have specific roles to fill and they can take little things about you and blow them up however they want. There's always a crazy-eyes stalker girl and this season they may choose you. You did cry on the first night, so who can blame then? I want to make it clear, though, that though I know the showrunners have enormous power in how you're portrayed, I have no sympathy for you because they can't edit crazy out of thin air. They work with what you give them and when you get trashed in the limo before even meeting your future husband, you've sealed your fate as "the drunk" all on your own.

--You sign up for this anyway, knowing that you may lose your job when your boss sees your bum in the tiny flight attendant outfit. You sign up for this anyway, knowing that your grandma/kindergarden teacher/current boyfriend will watch you make out in the hot tub. I realize the goal of reality television is for the people on it to act as if they've forgotten the cameras are there, but in some situations you have GOT to know that people will watch this. They will write hysterical things about you and make up silly nicknames for you and it's your own fault.

That is all I can think of. It basically boils down to "they're asking for it." :) Does that make me a rotten person? Probably. :) You can judge me, but I know you're all watching too! ;) Just being real, here, folks. :)

1 comment:

Keri said...

I used to love the Bachelor, but the last full season I watched was the one with Andrew Firestone. His lazy eye turned me off, and I haven't looked back.