Monday, September 29, 2008

Ohio pros and cons

I've learned some things about Ohio over the last week, and for the benefit of my friends in Florida I'm going to share a few of the good/bad things about moving up here:

Pro: No roaches.

Con: Our house has a mild cricket infestation. My mom says crickets in a house are lucky and you're supposed to trap them and release them outside instead of killing them. Well, that's not going to happen here. We Raid them. The con here is that since they jump, they're harder to shoot with the Raid. The pro is that once successfully Raid-ed, their death is funnier because it involves lots of crazy jumping around followed by some pretty hilarious twitching. Can saying that get me in trouble with PETA?

Another Con: Praying Mantises. I've seen pictures of these things before, but before this week I've never been chased into my house by one as long as my hand. I've seen several since--climbing on door frames, clinging to the bedroom window screen and staring at me when I open the window...they are really creepy insects!

Pro: So far, it seems cheap to live here. Our car/renters insurance policy premium shrunk by over 200$ when we informed them of our address change. Milk is $2.25 a gallon at the commissary (that's for you, Jill :))! I guess it pays to live in a state with no hurricanes and a substantial cow population.

Pro: The weather (so far). I'm sure I'll change my tune eventually, but right now the weather is perfect. It's been low 70s during the day (and this week it'll drop down to mid 60s!!) and mid 50s at night. YAY! :)

Con: The 20 degree temperature swing between day and night causes a problem when you don't know how to program your programmable thermostat. It has a mind of its own. We have no idea what the previous tenants did to it to make it act this way, so for now we've basically given up on it and we spend a lot of time with the windows open. The problem here is that the house is usually still warm when we go to bed so we leave the windows open, but at 2:00 AM I have to get up and close the windows because the bedroom is FREEZING.

Pro: No obnoxious Florida fans.

Con: TONS of almost-as-obnoxious Ohio State fans.


That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure the list will lengthen as I learn more about the Buckeye (Suckeye :)) State. :) I'll keep you posted. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just got around to reading all of your blogs! I'd rather deal with Ohio fans than Florida fans! At least both teams have been knocked on their fannies by now! Glad things are going well, at least somewhat!

Jill said...

thanks for filling me in on your blog - love it! i have a praying mantis story i'll have to tell you sometime. i had one on my arm once, dangerously close to my face. needless to say i about died! wow, milk is cheap there! it has been on sale at publix the past few weeks for $3.79. walmart is trying to beat them by pricing their's at the even-lower price of $3.69. gotta love a little competition! sorry you have been missing DWTS. they're just weeding out the "not worth watching" contestants at this point - though old lady cloris needs to go! i look forward to our vibrant discussions on backstage gossip later. :)

Blake said...

Yes NO ROACHES! I so loved that about Ohio :) The weather, ehhhh, no. I hate ice and snow. If somehow they could figure a way to make it only snow on grass and ice on lakes, and keep the sidewalks, parking lots and roads free of such things, then I would consider moving back. :) Oh...here's another thing you will soon learn about...Canadian Goose poop. Yep, its all over the place. And those birdies always have the right-of-way, so if you are stuck in traffic for no reason...I bet someone up in front of you is stopping for the Geese to cross.

Leigh Ann said...

So excited you are blogging and we can stay updated on all the Wuertz going-ons!

Caleb has crashed into the coffee table and tile so many times now that every time I think he is bruise free a new one appears. I just know someone is going to think I am a bad mom one of these days!